18 May 2006

Thesis Update



Last week I submitted my second 'official' thesis draft to my advisor. She is fairly confident that it will be ready for the other readers in July and ready for the Graduate office's editing check shortly thereafter, and ready for the university library to bind in good time (September?) meaning that I will likely qualify for graduation in December.

I still haven't decided who I should thank and who I should not, but the dedication page was decided even before my topic was. And I don't know if I should bother with a preface.

If any of you want a copy, you can have it for $20. Just let me know, and I'll have an extra one bound for you. This is a one-time publication, so it’s now or never. And by now, I mean any time before the library gets it which will maybe be in September, so you can take your time making this decision. I know it’s a tough one.

My thesis will likely be titled "Death, Memory, and the Photography of Sally Mann", and will include 7 images, if Ms. Mann approves my use of them.

7 comments:

Matthew said...

Congratulations MA. It's been a long strech of hard work, but you've really accomplished a lot. Now, let's see about those 'calls for papers'.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean that you are not expecting the publisher to have a paperback edition come out after the initial hardbound version? Way to go lady! Grandpa Dan

kat said...

Good job. I've never attempted anything so extensive so I don't have much basis for comparison. I'm sure it was really difficult and cumbersome. I would be interested in getting a copy though. I don't know when I would need to pay you, so I guess my purchasing a copy would be contingent on when the money would be due.

Mary Ann said...

I guess I should have also said that I'm happy to loan copies to people (who read gently, that is). So if you'd like to page through it and not necessarily have to haul it around forever, I understand that too.

As for you Kat, I'm happy to just give you one. When it comes to art, I very much play favorites, which I think shows just how shallow I am.

kat said...

I mean, I can pay for it with enough notice. It doesn't seem fair that you have to buy it for me. It is a very generous offer though.

Mary Ann said...

I won't need any money from interested parties until September at the very earliest.

What I should have said in addition is that there's a short list of people who I already plan give a copy. I was planning to give one to you, kat, but if you want to trade me a $20 for it that's ok too.

kat said...

Well, thank you for the gift :)