01 March 2007

Women's History Month



I'm not sure where this idea came from, but as soon as it arrived in my head I knew it was the kind of idea that was going to eventually take shape. The title of this post has done some of the explaining for me. I was reminded a few weeks ago that March is Women's History month (FYI Feb. was Black History month). As I understand it, the concept of Women's History is to educate us all about what women were doing, how they lived, what their lives were like etc. and also to write women into the histories that have overlooked them. A big job. Yeah.

So, anyway, about a year ago, Katie bequeathed me all of her books from a college feminism course. I hadn't read them before, nor had I read anything feminist that wasn't directly related to art history. But I recently picked one up: "Gender, Power, & Promise: The Subject of the Bible's First Story". I have no time to do justice to the book or my experience of reading it. No TIME. So I won't even tell you if I thought it was good, or interesting, or anything. But I read it, and reading it got me thinking about the old testament and the lessons I learned about it during all those years of childhood Sunday school.

There's a song that kids sing at church "Follow the Prophet", and you can read the whole text here. Its got a zippy, middle-eastern-sounding melody (well, what I really mean is Jewish sounding, but my brother in law will call me racist if I write that, but really, it could be in the background while tevia dances. I mean, come on people.) and kids love to sing it. Problem is, all the OT prophetesses have been left out. Enter Women's History month, give me a few weeks for my subconscious to chew on the idea, and Poof! In my free time between waking up and lunch you've got three new verses. Enjoy.


(Judges 4)
Deborah was a prophet—she judged Israel.
Led them into battle, triumphed with Jael.
God will guide our leaders, women can lead too.
They will show the way to God for me and you.

(2 Kings 22 & 23)
Huldah was a prophet—she warned Judah’s king
“keep the law, repent! or evil I will bring”
Humbled by the word, the king changed Judah’s ways
Huldah’s counsel lengthened out the city’s days.

(Luke 2:36-38)
Anna was a prophet in Jerusalem.
Recognized redemption’d come to all of them.
Anna testified that Jesus was the one,
just as all the prophets ’fore and since have done.

Happy Women's History Month, everyone. I've decided to have a women-centric month at Impart Art. Women are too often overlooked and left out, even on this blog.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Nice verses! I like the modifications.

Dad said...

You never cease to amaze me!

suz said...

well done, mary ann - send them into the songbook publishers and demand a new edition.

i took a women's history class my last semester before my student teaching. we read some pretty interesting stuff, and i go to intervie mom for a paper i wrote on the ERA.

favorite quote from my main text: "it is a settled maxim with me that the existing public sentement on any subject is wrong" -elizabeth cady stanton.

i also thougth it was rather ironic that i was able to convice my professer to let me turn in a paper 4 days late because my boyfriend broke up with me the night before it was due.

Kate said...

I really like these and they so work with the song ... have you thought about using prophetess instead of prophet? It also works well with the rhythm of the song, and might help children distinguish the differences?

Mary Ann said...

Woah, Suz! I can't believe that worked. Can you imagine the look of incredulity that a man would get if he used the same excuse?

And K8, I'm not sure there is a difference.